Thursday, October 1, 2015

Speech I

The first speech that I gave to the class was on my hometown. To prepare for this speech I had to think about the most predominate places that stuck out to me in my town. Of course to do so I thought of the places that I go on a daily bases or on several occasions.
One thing that I did do was assume that my classmates remembered what was said in Samantha's speech, being that she was from the same hometown as me. I realized after I did my speech that there could've been people that weren't in class the day that she presented, or people that did not remember the topics she discussed in her presentation.
Seeing the comments and evaluations on my speech from my teacher and my peers, I realized that there were a few things I was doing subconsciously that effected my speech. I know now that when I get nervous and give my speech I tend to speak a lot faster than I normally would. Of course I see that when I do so, its hard for the people listening to retain the information I was giving to them about my town.
I only received two evaluations back from my class, but the two evaluations were a little different. Although one of them stated that I spoke slow and precisely, the other evaluation said that I spoke very quick and that I need to make more eye contact. Both evaluations were very helpful to me. It made me realize that I need to work on a few things, although, my speech was good and informative which gave me confidence on my next speech.
For the next speech I had, which I just did today, I feel that I fixed some of the things that were commented on. I do struggle with anxiety so it was definitely hard for me to work with the prompter and make eye contact at the same time. Although, I was proud of myself for facing my fears and speaking slower and with more confidence (at least in my head I thought I did!)


No comments:

Post a Comment